Followers

Monday, March 7, 2016

Challenge #9 - The Quaker Oat Box Challenge - Repurpose A Cardboard Food Container

Hello, Crafters!

Daylight Saving Time (United States) 2016 begins at 2:00 AM on
Sunday, March 13
Repurposing is a great way to help save our environment.
  This challenge to both beginner and seasoned crafters, is:
Create a project using a Quaker Oats Canister or any cardboard food container.
This Challenge runs for two weeks
March 7th - March 20th
 

I realize not everyone will have a quaker canister, so, feel free to use any cardboard food container.   I am going to use a Quaker Oats Canister for my project and will post it here when it is done.  At this point, I think I am going to create a holder for my tea light candles.

Here is a list of supplies you will probably need to complete your project:
Gesso 
Chalk, Milk, or Acrylic Paint
Mod Podge® or some other Decoupage Glue
Decoupage Paper or Designer Papers
Wax or some other Sealant (you can use Mod Podge, if you prefer)

One key to repurposing is to have a clear idea of the new purpose of your canister.
Another important element is identifying a theme and building your design around it.  For instance, I think my tea light holder will live in my dining room, so I am looking at colors, papers, embellishments, etc., that will work well with the decor in that room.    
If you are creating a gift, take into account the personality of the recipient and, of course, the occasion.  And, finally, you must make sure that your creation will be durable, so construction is very important.  I always reinforce the bottom of my canisters by adding a piece of heavy duty chipboard or  corrugated cardboard. 
BE CREATIVE AND THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX!

HERE ARE LINKS TO A COUPLE OF FOOD CONTAINERS PROJECTS

HOPE IT PROVIDES SOME INSPIRATION.
CARDBOARD CANDY CANISTERS
REPURPOSED QUAKER OATS BOX 
Lighting the Shabbos Candles was my first Mitzvot observance.  

When a Jewish woman lights her candles and welcomes Shabbos into her home, she ignites the spiritual light that will guide her family, not only through Shabbos, but also through the ensuing week.

I created this project to hold the tea light candles that I use to welcome the Shabbos Angel.

The silhouette represents the Jewish woman who safeguards the spiritual integrity of her family.
The clock represents Ecclesiastes 3:1 "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven."
The matchbox fulfills the Mitzvos to use beautiful things to honor HaShem and the beauty of the Shabbos Commandment given to the Jewish people.

The Step Tutorial will post to my blog on Saturday.

This project was completed in my capacity as a blogger for DecoArt®.  All paint and decoupage products used were provided free of charge by DecoArt®


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! We look forward to seeing your submissions to our challenge. Your support of our little challenge is greatly appreciated!

Hugz,
Chana